Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Brand Gap Book

I love the brand gap book by Marty Neumeier. I think its easy to read, pack with information and entertaining. A couple things that made me laugh are:

The coke bottle Illustration on page 13 - Without the Brand, "Coke's glass would be half empty"

Page 31 - "If you do have compelling answers, great--you can skip this chapter" . . . turn page - "Still reading? Thought so."

It is clever comments and illustrations like those to examples, that makes the book so interesting. It has has great examples that make the information really clear. One topic that I thought was covered really well in the first section was the idea of focus. A brand should focus on one thing that makes it really strong. "It is often better to be number one in a small category than number 3 in a large one. (pg 44)" It goes on to give examples of John Deere and Porsche, describing how the perception of their brand would be skewed if expanded their market from farm equipment and sports cars.

I am probably going to read ahead or at least look at more of the diagrams just because this book is really clever. The book says, "It's different--I like it. (pg 34)" My saying for the year is, "It's clever--I like it."

No comments:

Post a Comment