Thursday, April 28, 2011

First Emulation

Eadweard Muybridge is best known for answering the galloping horse question and creating the earliest form of videography. Muybridge cotinued his motion studies at the University of Pennsylvania. He published Animal Locomotion, a book of over 20,000 images created from 1883 to 1886, studying the movement of people and animals.

I decided to emulate some of his motion studies for my project. I thought this would be relatively easy and believed I could just set my digital SLR to continuous shooting. I did however run into some challenges with this approach. 













I started with this picture of the hand drawing in a circular motion. I liked that he documented the hand from the side and front views. It looked like Muybridge used an overhead light, leaving a shadow underneath the hand. In the studio, I used the boom to set the flash over Melissa Webb, my model's hand. The problem was the flash cannot continuously fire like the camera on the continuous shooting setting. I ended up just shooting as fast as I could and made about three black photos to every one good shot. 












I like how the side view shots turned out, but if I would redo this shoot, I would definitely put Melissa in a black sweatshirt. You lose her hand in the white and it's really distracting. 

1 comment: