Monday, September 19, 2011

Things I Found Out Flipping Copies #1

I currently work at the Cardinal Stritch Copy Center. It may not be a job directly on the path to a graphic design career but there are a lot of things I can take away from my experience. 


Lesson #1 - It's okay to give yourself some breathing room. 


In copy center, it seems like people drop off print jobs at 1:00 p.m. and want them printed by 1:01 p.m. All day people ask, "When can you have this done by?" The majority of the time I am able finish printing some ones job in a quite short time frame, but I usually say, "I can have it done by the end of the day." Giving myself the extra time allows me some wiggle room in case the printer jams or just decides to stop working in general (both of which happens more frequently than one would predict). 


Overall, it is much better to tell someone that you can have the work done in four hours and actually complete it in two, than to estimate one hour and actually take an hour and a half to finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment